We all know that cats are curious. This leads them to try all sorts of things, including some foods that might not be so good for them. Like many household pets, cats have sensitive digestive systems. With this in mind, it’s important that you feed them the right foods and avoid ones that might cause them harm. As your local provider of veterinarian services, the Clover Vet team wants your feline to stay happy and healthy. Here’s a list of foods that you should not let your cat eat:
- Dairy – Contrary to popular belief, cats should never have dairy products. While they may enjoy milk or cream, cats tend to be lactose-intolerant and dairy can greatly upset their digestive systems. Stay away from these foods and your cat will have a happier tummy.
- Tuna – It’s fine to give tuna to your cat every now and again. However, tuna is not a standalone meal. Although it’s healthy for humans, it lacks the nutrients cats need to maintain good overall health. Giving your cat tuna regularly may even hurt them in the long run.
- Raw eggs, meat, and fish – Just like humans, cats can get very sick from salmonella and E. coli. Keep your cat away from raw eggs, meat, and fish to be safe.
- Certain fruits, vegetables, and herbs – Never give your cat grapes (or raisins) as this can cause their kidneys to fail. Also don’t let them eat onions, garlic, or chives. These foods can cause anemia and gastrointestinal upset for a cat.
- Other harmful substances – Don’t let your cat near any medicine, alcohol, caffeine, chocolate, fat trimmings, or bones. All of these substances can seriously harm your cat.
Do you have other questions about your cat’s diet or do you need other veterinarian services? Call Clover Vet today to schedule an appointment. We’ll make sure your cat or kitten stays in great shape!